March 19, 2015
2. How We Collect and Use Your Information
We collect personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information from you in a number of ways. "Personally identifiable information" is information that personally identifies you, such as your name, postal address, e-mail address, other contact information or credit card information (or other information that is associated or aggregated by us with such above information), and non-personally identifiable information is information that does not personally identify you, including anonymous information. We also collect information regarding your use of this website.
In addition, we may use your personally identifiable information to contact you (or allow certain other parties to contact you) and send you information and/or marketing and promotional materials, including through postal mail, e-mail, and other means, as well as to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, and to analyze website use, improve our content and product offerings, and customize our website content, layout, and services.
In general, we automatically gather certain information from our website visitors, such as the number and frequency of your visits. This information may include the URLs of the websites you visit, your browser and operating system, your IP address, how long you spend on our website, what pages and content you view here and other information. We also collect information through the methods listed below.
We and our authorized designees collect information through the servers for this website, cookies and other technologies. "Cookies" are small files placed on your hard drive; each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser preferences allow it. You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. (Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.) You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although that may prevent you from using certain features and functionalities on our website, and you may be required to re-enter your password or other information more frequently during a session or after you revisit our website. In addition, a number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit websites anonymously. We use a "persistent" cookie to save information about your operating system and technology preferences and track website usage; in addition, if you sign up for a user account, we will save your account user id and/or e-mail address. We also use a "session cookie" to help us "remember" you until the session times out, or the closing of your browser which helps ensure that you remain logged into your account. Session cookies are automatically deleted from your hard drive after the end of a session.
Usually, the information collected through cookies and other technologies is not personally identifiable in and of itself. However, these technological methods may enable us to collect and use information in a personally identifiable form, and we may combine or aggregate data collected through cookies and other technologies with personally identifiable information; in that case, we will treat the resulting information as personal information.
We are not responsible for any other websites accessible from or linked to this website, including their privacy policies or information collection practices. Further, we do not control any cookies, web beacons or other similar devices placed on our website by third parties, such as those that may be embedded in third-party advertising.
Other Collection Methods
We also collect personally identifiable information from you as follows:
- User Accounts:
- If you sign up for a user account, we will collect and store certain personally identifiable information about you, such as your name, e-mail address, and interests; you may also voluntarily provide additional information such as your telephone number and postal address. This information may be visible in your profile page to other website users, depending on your privacy settings.
- User Comments:
- If you participate in any public forums, such as comment sections of any websites, message boards, chat rooms, and social community environments, we may request certain personally identifiable information from you, including your name and e-mail address. Any personal information you provide when using any of these features may be visible to other users.
- E-mail Questions:
- You may choose to contact Charlie Rose Inc., by e-mail or otherwise, with other inquiries. Any personally identifiable information you provide in connection with such inquiries will be collected, accessed and used by us for the purpose of processing and responding to your inquiries, and to improve our website and offerings.
- E-mail Updates and Other Activities:
- If you sign up on our website to receive e-mail updates, we will collect and use your e-mail address for such purposes. We will also collect personally identifiable information you voluntarily provide to us—typically, your name, postal address, e-mail address, and telephone number —when you participate in other activities on our website, such as polls and informational and promotional offers.
- Job Opportunities:
- You may choose to apply for employment or an internship position with Charlie Rose Inc. through online application forms we may provide or by sending us, by e-mail or otherwise, a resume and letter (containing personally identifiable information). Any information you provide to us in this regard will be viewed by Charlie Rose Inc. for the purpose of evaluating your application.
- Third Parties:
- We may associate or aggregate other information we obtain from third parties with personally identifiable information we have collected from you. In such instances, this information will be treated in the same manner as the information we have collected directly from you.
3. How We Share Your Information
We may share your non-personally identifiable information with others, such as donors, sponsors, advertisers and others for informational or promotional purposes. We may share personally identifiable information with service providers, to the extent necessary for them to perform their functions for us.
We will not otherwise share your personally identifiable information other than as noted above, except as required by law, requested by governmental entity or law enforcement authority, subpoena, court order or discovery request, or when we otherwise believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary or appropriate in connection with any activity that violates the law (including relating to intellectual property, fraud, contracts and privacy) or may expose us to liability.We can (and you authorize us to) disclose any of your information in such circumstances.
4. How We Protect Your Information
The security of your information is important to us. We employ several different technical, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personally identifiable information from unauthorized access or use.
You should be aware, however, that "perfect security" does not exist on the Internet, and there is always the risk that unauthorized persons may access or use your personally identifiable information. You use our website and send us such information at your own risk.
5. Your Choices About Your Information
Do Not Track
We do not currently track our customers over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore do not respond to Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals. However, some third party sites do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to tailor what they present to you. If you are visiting such sites, your browser allows you to set the DNT signal so that third parties (particularly advertisers) know you do not want to be tracked.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our website visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please e-mail us at or write to us at CA Privacy Rights, Charlie Rose Inc., 731 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10022.
6. Accessing and Correcting Your Information
We wish to maintain your information accurately. If you have created a user account with us, you may access and update your information via the account settings page. If you have otherwise submitted any personally identifiable information to us, you can e-mail us at or write to us at Privacy Matters, Charlie Rose Inc., 731 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10022, to notify us of any errors or changes. It may take up to 45 days for us to implement this request.
Our Policy Towards Children
We are concerned about the safety and privacy of children who use the Internet. Our website is not designed for or directed to children under the age of 13. Consistent with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 ("COPPA"), we will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under 13 without prior verifiable parental consent. If we become aware that a child under 13 has somehow provided us with personally identifiable information without verifiable parental consent, we will use our best efforts to remove such information from our files. If you believe that your child has provided us with such information without your consent, please e-mail us at , write to us at Privacy Matters, Charlie Rose Inc., 731 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10022, or call us at 212 617-1600.
If we merge with or transfer substantially all of our business, stocks or assets to another entity, or if we enter into bankruptcy, we have the right to share your personally identifiable information with that entity, to the extent lawfully permissible. If such merger or transfer results in a material change in the use of your personally identifiable information, you will receive notice of such event via an appropriate mechanism, as determined by us, and we will request that the new entity follow the practices disclosed in this policy or notify you of any changes to it.
We may revise or supplement this policy from time to time in our sole discretion. If we make any substantial changes in the way we use or share your personal information, we will notify you by posting an announcement on our website and sending you an e-mail if you have provided us with your e-mail address.
We make no claim that our website is appropriate or lawful for use or access outside the United States. If you access this website from outside the United States, you do so at your own risk. You are solely responsible for complying with all local laws, rules and regulations regarding online conduct and website access.